Implementing the right electronic health record (EHR) system for your chiropractic business can streamline your workflow, SOAP notes, and claims submission process. These efficiencies can reduce your costs and enable you to provide an overall better experience by spending more time with patients and less time with paperwork.
Before you can realize these benefits, though, you need to install and configure your EHR platform. You can significantly increase your odds of a smooth roll-out by taking proactive steps to get your team ready. So, let’s discuss how to prepare your staff for EHR implementation.
The Challenges of EHR Implementation
Several key challenges involved in EHR implementation can be mitigated by adequately preparing your staff. Here are a few of the most common friction points that preparation can overcome.
Changes aren’t easy for some people, especially when they’ve been doing something a certain way for a long time. There is often resistance to a new system from support staff and doctors.
Staff may initially feel frustrated because they have to stop and think about what they’re doing. If you’re not careful, it’s easy for them to fall back into the same processes that you’re trying to replace.
Failure to Fully Implement EHR Systems
Without fully implementing your EHR platform and adopting a new streamlined workflow, you only aggravate frustration and delay acceptance.
To optimize the effectiveness of your EHR platform, you need to migrate your data into the new system. Often, practices underestimate the time that it takes to do this.
Fortunately, you can solve these challenges if you employ best practices for how to prepare your staff for EHR implementation—and choose the right software platform.
How to Prepare Your Staff for EHR Implementation
Preparing your staff for a smooth transition requires leadership from the top of the organization. Chiropractors and staff leaders must fully embrace the EHR system and ensure that staff knows that the old ways of doing business will no longer be acceptable. However, this also requires leaders to adopt the system and lead the charge.
Explain the Need and Impact
Chiropractors need to explain the need for the change and how it will impact teams. Implementing a system can streamline systems and reduce many manual tasks, for example. Since ChiroSpring is a platform built specifically for chiropractors, it incorporates many best practices to save time.
Explain the Benefits
As staff learns new ways of doing things, there can be a lag between implementation and efficiency. Staff members must understand the benefits of an EHR system to help them work through the startup phase.
Chiropractors and practice leaders can help by explaining how this change will benefit staff members. The right system can provide several benefits that will make it easier for staff to do their jobs.
The benefits of choosing an EHR practice management software built for chiropractors include:
- Automated redundant tasks: This frees up staff time spent on routine and monotonous tasks and reduces errors.
- Automated reminders: How much time do staff members spend making calls to remind patients about appointments or dealing with no-shows? Automated reminders take away the team’s burden of keeping the calendar full.
- Faster, easier intake: Staff members can save time and eliminate paperwork with an online intake process enabling patients to enter profile data and subjective information into the system. Content can automatically populate into SOAP notes, so chiropractors can eliminate the wait time for staff to input data.
- Simplified claim submissions: The right EHR system can create insurance claims automatically as soon as providers digitally sign SOAP notes. With ChiroSpring, for example, you can submit claims in two clicks to send electronic data interchange claims to your clearinghouse over a secure file transfer protocol without having to leave the platform. This streamlined process saves time while reducing errors.
- Integrated and online payments: With an integrated payment solution, you can quickly process in the platform and may be able to integrate online payments options for patients. The right EHR platform will also enable you to process recurring payments for all patients with just one click to save time.
- Simplified patient scheduling: Your practice management software should also automate scheduling to find suitable times, open slots, and plan visits.
With a comprehensive end-to-end EHR practice management system, you can manage patient flow more effectively, which makes everything run more efficiently.